Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Speak out!


Welcome to my Hop Against Homophobia Blog! It's 2012 and it is hard to believe that we still have to stand up and fight against homophobia. Today, May 17th, is International Day Against Homophobia!

"The word homophobia appeared in the 1960’s. George Weinberg, an American psychologist, seems to have been the first to use it in a study in 1969. He used it again in his 1972 book “Society and the healthy homosexual”. K.T. Smith also used this word in 1971 in an article called “Homophobia: A Tentative Personality Profile”. Francophone authors quickly followed suit. Here is how Weinberg defined homophobia in 1972: 'The fear expressed by heterosexuals of being in the presence of homosexuals, and the loathing that homosexual persons have for themselves'"[1].

Homophobia can manifest in many ways (attitudes, actions, words, etc.) and the only way to fight it is to raise awareness and speak out against it! Believe it or not, you are doing that by just joining this blog hop tour! Thank you!


For my own part, earlier this year I joined the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. Nothing like being a 21st century drag nun to make a statement and do some good for my community. The "Sisters" are an international Non-Profit organization, founded in 1979, whose volunteer members perform many out-reach programs to educate safer sex practices and provide free condoms to the community. If you want to give back, the "Sisters" is a great organization to become involved with!

I also am not ashamed of my daughter, who came out to us when she was 13. We knew it wasn't a 'phase' but that was okay. We love her just the same because all that matters to us is that she is happy. I refer to her girlfriend with the same tone and inflection as I do my other daughters boyfriends. When someone makes a face while I am talking to them, I always comment, "That bothers you? How is my daughters love life affecting you?" Usually they have no answer or a very weak one, but if nothing else, it makes them stop and think!

So, for taking the time to hop around and stop by, I will be giving a copy of New Beginnings, The Sapphire Tower (v.1) away! Just leave me a comment (and email) to enter! 18+ only please (I don't want another nasty email from a parent!) A random winner will be chosen on May 21st! 

Happy Hopping to the hundreds of other blogs! Just click to Hop Away!



11 comments:

  1. "How is my daughter's love life affecting you?"

    That always seems to be one of the biggest points that everyone misses.

    -Sam
    rykaine@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this with us today

    musings-of-a-bookworm@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. A drag nun heh? Never heard of it before - but what a wonderful cause and great fun to boot! Kudos for supporting your daughter... now if all families could have that positive attitude! Thanks for the post and participating in such an important hop... romancewiththeflemingtons at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for participating in this great blog hop. I'm enjoying all the posts :)

    penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking part in this hop. Thank you for sharing this post.

    normanielsen@bigpond.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for participating in the hop. I hope that this helps to spread the word and that one day a hop like this will no longer be needed. I have shown many of the post to my nieces and nephews. We recently have been discussing how damaging bullying is and how innocent remarks can make you be seen as being a bully. One of the things that makes me mad is when I hear...you're so gay... pisses me off. These post have helped them already. I heard my nephew stand up to someone that called someone else a hurtful name... I was so proud. Thank you all for helping by sharing hurtful and/sad memories and your personal views/message.
    I pray one day for equality for EVERYONE not just some.
    forettarose@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for participating in the HOP.

    gisu29(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just hopping by to visit everyone participating in the blog hop (or trying to at least).

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and story. I am sure your daughter is grateful to have such accepting parents.

    Hopefully one day all children will have the same.

    lmbrownauthor at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter is very lucky to have you :)

    Erica
    eripike at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the post on such a great cause. The hop was great.

    peggy1984@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Homophobic Cyberstalking story of the Century can be read here http://homophobicdorsetpolice.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-pre-meditated-and-manipulated-16th.html

    ReplyDelete